Shredded cowhide wallets seem to be an indispensable accessory for many people. But when your favorite accessory gets dirty, you don't know how to clean it? Let's find out the most effective way to clean a cowhide wallet.
1. Steps to clean effectively the shredded cowhide wallet
1.1 How to clean a normal cowhide wallet
With ordinary leather wallets, you can clean stains, mold stains simply with alcohol. Steps to do this method:
- First, use a wet cloth to wipe the entire surface of the wallet to remove dust and dirt from the wallet.
- Next, use a white cloth to prevent color fading. Dip a small part into the alcohol.
- Then wipe on the dirty area of the leather wallet until the stains and molds disappear completely.
- Finally, use a clean dry towel, gently wipe the entire wallet or you can use waxes to polish a thin layer so that the wallet is clean as new.
Note that before performing this method safely, you should test the alcohol on a hidden area on the wallet first to make sure this stain removal method doesn't damage the skin or take away its inherent color of the wallet.
1.2 How to clean suede wallets
Suede is loved for its softness, and is much more durable than regular leather. Stains on suede wallets are usually harder to remove than other types of leather.
- If the suede wallet is stained, you should use a soft cloth to wipe it gently, avoiding rubbing too hard so it does not deform the surface of the wallet.
- Then use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub the stain, remembering to always brush in the same direction to restore the original appearance of the wallet. If the suede wallet gets wet, you absolutely should not use the dryer but should use newspaper or desiccant paper wrapped around and stuffed inside to absorb moisture for the wallet.
1.3 How to clean a glossy leather wallet
Glossy leather also known as painted leather, is a wallet made from genuine leather but in the process has been coated with a material such as plastic, linseed oil to make it more shiny and beautiful. It is thanks to this glossy layer that the way to clean the glossy leather wallet becomes much easier.
- You just need to use a towel or cotton pad to absorb water and gently wipe the stain to clean it immediately.
- If the stain doesn't come off right away, spray the stain with a little water or alcohol and then wipe it more thoroughly to remove the stain.
1.4. Tips for cleaning “nasty” stains
Blood stains: If it is fresh blood, you can clean it up immediately with warm soapy water and a clean towel. However, if it is a dried blood stain you will need to use hydrogen peroxide. Use a cotton ball to soak a little hydrogen peroxide and gently dab on the blood stain to clean it, you should dot and rub gently until the stain is all gone.
Ink stains: The longer the ink stains on the cowhide wallet, the more difficult it will be to clean, so you should fix it as soon as possible by using alcohol. Dip a cotton swab or small cloth in alcohol to wet the spot, then rub gently until the ink fades.
Wax or rubber stains: when you get this stain, you should put your wallet in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, then when the gum/wax has solidified, you can use your hands to peel the gum/wax out of your wallet. You may also have to use your fingernail to scrape off any remaining gum, then wipe it off with a soft cloth before applying a coat of wallet conditioner.
Stains: Moisten a soft brush, then gently brush over the purse stain. Pat dry with a paper towel and wait overnight. The next morning the stain will fade. In severe cases, water stains can last forever without any solution. So you should clean it as soon as there are signs of staining.
Grease stains: Real leather is a material that easily absorbs grease, so when it is greasy, fix it immediately by using absorbent paper to absorb as much as possible. Once oiled, sprinkle plenty of cornstarch over the stain and pat the dough to stick. Leave it overnight for the powder to absorb into the oil. The next morning, gently brush off the powder with a soft brush.
2. Method of cleaning the inside of the shredded cowhide wallet
To clean the inside of the wallet, you need to follow these steps:
- First, remove all the money and papers in the wallet, then turn the wallet upside down. All dirt can fall out.
- Next, use a specialized roller or simply small pieces of tape to gently stick all the dirt and other miscellaneous debris inside the wallet.
- Then mix vinegar with water to make a more effective wallet cleaner. Prepare a soft, white and clean towel, then dip it in the solution, squeeze out the water and wipe the inside of the wallet, even the smallest compartments. With small compartments such as card compartments, you can use cotton swabs to clean more effectively.
- Next, use a dry towel to wipe the entire inside of the wallet again. Finally, you can put some baking soda or dried tea grounds in a small bag into your wallet overnight. This step has an effective deodorizing effect for the wallet.
- The next morning, you have a clean and fragrant wallet.
These steps to clean cowhide wallets above are usually quite simple and easy to do, the important thing of all types of stains is that you need to treat and clean them as soon as possible to help the wallet regain its original perfect shape. And don't forget to clean the inside of the wallet periodically to make it last for a long time.